Skip to main content

Living in the Midst of a Graveyard

Recently I was at an event where the Rev Leslie Griffiths (or Lord Griffiths of Burry Port if I were to be official about it, and name-drop with an enormous "clang") told those present that he lived and worked surrounded by a significant graveyard around Wesley's Chapel in London. This, he affirmed, served to remind him not only of the past, but of the future... the future for all of us.

His comment reminded me of the fact that in my first station, a rural one, I was the only minister in the local clergy fraternal who didn't have a graveyard around my church buildings, a fact for which I was perennially thankful, not because of any squeamishness but because my colleagues lives seemed to be dominated by the petty politics involved in administrating grave plots.

Yesterday I was back in the same room as the discussion with Leslie Griffith, but this time the speaker was Duncan Morrow (many more postings will probably stem from what he said, here and elsewhere...). During his presentation he made a comment that resonated with Leslie Griffith's one, when he reminded us of a phrase that John Paul Lederach uses in his book "The Moral Imagination" when in chapter 12 he speaks of "The Past that Lies Before Us." In it he writes of the experience of a group of Mohawk Americans negotiating with the government over past wrongs. For the government the past is at best an inconvenience if not totally irrelevant and they simply want to find a pragmatic way of moving on towards the future. But for the Mohawks the past is a living thing that lies in front of them. This he compares to African philosopher, John Mbiti's description of African people pointing forwards when refering to the past and back over their shoulder when referring to the future... This he says is based on an understanding of time flowing from the present to past... like a river taking us all to the same place as those who have gone before us...

"Time like an ever flowing stream, bears all its sons away..."
as the hymn says... But whether they
"fly forgotten, as a dream dies at the opening day"
is down to us... As is whether the forgetting or remembering of the past helps us in the present and the future...

One respondent then said that he was uneasy with us being too focussed on the past because our faith is eschatological, which he saw as being future-focussed... But that misses the fact that the eschaton, or last-days, as defined by Jesus included his present, which is firmly in our past. And even if we are to be future-focussed, that future is only assured because of what has happened in the past. Thus we are told "Do this in remembrance..." (Luke 22: 19, I Corinthians 11: 24-5)

Indeed our future resolves into eternity... that existence outside of time, where our future hope began when Christ was chosen from before the creation of the world (Ephesians 1: 4; I Peter 1: 20)... Although how can something be "before" time? Ouch my brain is starting to hurt...

Anyway, what does this say to us? In political situations where we as a province are trying to decide what to do about our collective past; in pastoral situations where people are trying to come to terms with the consequences of their personal past; in church situations where we are still living in the past (and that is not a trite point).

Honestly, I don't know, but perhaps we start by acknowledging that we are living in the midst of a graveyard, with all the politicking that may involve.

For a fuller description of the conversation that inspired this series of reflections and another perspective on it, read Glenn Jordan's blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-