Skip to main content

The End is Nigh


OK... Warning. I'm about to rant again...

This time it is due to a piece of junk mail that landed on my doorstep yesterday... The sheer amount of unsolicited mail that goes straight from letterbox to blue bin is usually enough to trigger a rant... But on this occasion it was because of a kind offer by Sarah Muggeridge to provide me with some assistance to deal with the implications of the government's "End of Life Care Strategy" published last summer.

Now I don't know whether this offer is coming to me in my role as chaplain to the local hospital, where I am actually on the multi-disciplinary palliative care education sub-group (the title is longer than the meetings), but the fact that it was sent to the church's PO Box address, suggests that the name and address was gleaned by some web-crawling bot, that has cribbed my name and address from either the local or national church website.

With that in mind... one general point... Any junk mail senders take note: If you are wanting me to pay any attention to you, my first name is David, NOT Rev. If you insist on using my title then it should be Rev. David, or Rev. David Campton, but NEVER Rev Campton, without punctuation or first name.

But back to the specifics of this wonderfully kind offer. For the ultra-cheap price of £125.44 I will recieve a CD-Rom and Handbook (with a single user license only) for a resource pack that will help me with cultural factors affecting death, dying and bereavement, needs assessment checklists, care planning records, case studies, resuscitation, verification of death and complaints policies (among many others), pain management advice, handouts on many subjects including wills and funerals, and quality assurance schemes.

What world are we in that any company thinks that a local minister needs such a thing? Even if it is directed to me within the hospital, do they not think that we have our own policies and resources?

My role in End of Life Care is largely to be there for the dying and the bereaved... A physical manifestation of the presence of our ever-present God (I don't mean that to sound as arrogant as it might... I say it with the utmost humility, and it applies not only to me, but to any Christian who comes alongside people at such a time). There are few things more important in pastoral meeting than helping people to prepare for and cope with the end of a life.

Yes, we can help people through the policies and practicalities that they face at such a time... but am I going to fork out £125.44 to resource that? Not likely... I would rather fork out that money on coffees with the bereaved, or books that I feel might help them...

So... Ms. Muggeridge, you have just wasted two sheets of paper, an envelope and the postage it took to send me this junk...

AND I've wasted 15 minutes typing this...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-