Skip to main content

Losing it for Lent


I'm not strong on personal discipline. Indeed, in many ways my personal life (including my spiritual discipline) is a shambling mess. Some people may be shocked at a Methodist minister saying that (indeed I AM a disgrace to the memory of our methodical founder John Wesley)... others who know me personally will know that I am merely being honest. The chaos of my life is a relatively creative chaos (most of the time), but it is also exhausting and and unhealthy, physically, mentally and spiritually. So I continually aspire to some sort of order in the midst of chaos... I've given up on those who offer quick-fix, self-help solutions, but am increasingly inspired by those who advocate a re-examination of ancient spiritual practices as a means of bringing order out of chaos, including Brian McLaren in his recent book "Finding Our Way Again: The Return of the Ancient Practice" (the first in a whole series I am led to believe).

As I have said in the review of this book in the side-bar, Brian McLaren is not an expert on spiritual disciplines... but then I've read lots of books by such experts and they have all been depressing in the extreme, as they may have inspiring but have rarely had a lasting impact on my daily practice. This book is written by someone rediscovering these things for himself, and is written in such an engaging and practical way that I think it may have a longer lasting impact personally than many of the "classics" because it asks really basic questions, whilst still tapping in (unashamedly) to the ancient traditions. And I'm not alone in this assessment of the book, most of our local church book group, found it challenging or useful, where more traditional models of modern evangelical piety have become less helpful to them. That was one of the reasons I recommended it for Lent, which is one of the ancient fasts, aimed at getting our lives in order in the run up to the greatest of the Christian festivals: Easter.

Again I've posted on the sidebar a quote by Julie Clawson from Sojourners' God's Politics Blog where she says:
"Lent isn't about denial; it is about transformation. It is the season in which we prepare to encounter Christ's sacrifice by endeavoring to become more Christ-like ourselves. Transformation is about letting ourselves be filled with God's presence so that we can be shaped by God's grace."

That's as good a definition of what Lent is about as I have ever read... Denial may play a part in transformation... but that transformation may involve taking up some things as well as giving up others...

In my case I'm endeavouring (again) to put a little bit of discipline into my life this Lent... Mentally, spiritually and physically...

The physical side will involve a certain amount of denial... insofar as I am attempting to lose a substantial amount of weight which has piled on because of post-injury inactivity... And I am inviting you to make me accountable for that weight-loss by sponsoring me per pound (I don't do kilos) lost... Any money raised will be divided equally between Dundonald Family and Community Initiative (DFCI) and the Methodist Church World Development and Relief Fund (WDRF)... So in theory it will not just my body being transformed, but, in a small way, this will help transform the lives of people at home and abroad. I hope to put a widget in the sidebar for giving soon for those who prefer electronic transactions rather than cold hard cash!

The whole thing got under way with a weigh-in in front of the folks at "Sticky Fingers", DFCI's Carers and Toddlers programme on Wednesday morning... but it was an inauspicious beginning given that a few hours later when I was at my annual appointment with my dietician (due to my diabetes) her scales registered a full stone extra! But when I went back and checked the other scales, they too confirmed the awful truth!
So not only am I over weight, I'm clearly short-sighted too since I (and others) had obviously misread the scales the first time... Either that or one bowl of bacon, lentil and tomato soup was converted instantly into 1 stone of Campton.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-