Skip to main content

Words, Words, Words...


I enjoy word games… for years my wife, Sally, and I have played "Scrabble" on holiday or late at night, then last year two American friends introduced us to another word game called "Quiddler" that is played using cards… they were with us again at the weekend and introduced us to another one called "Bananagrams" which is like scrabble on speed without a board or points. We also play wordgames online against the clock with friends. Im generally fairly good at word games where I have time to consider how to use my letters and words strategically, but in ones where the clock is ticking, I'm utterly useless… My wife wins the majority of them, as I just can't get the letters down quick enough… I’d love to say she wins the online ones because I can’t type as fast as she can, but whilst that may be true it is not the reason she beats me nearly every time…
But whilst I enjoy word games, words are not just playthings… I enjoy words and wordplay; I love to read, not just for my job, but for pleasure… I love poems and plays, reading and hearing words used well. I enjoy writing… Whether anyone enjoys reading or hearing what I write is a moot point, but I still enjoy it, and I recognize what a privilege it is to be able to read and write… Two generations back, half of my relatives on my father’s side couldn’t even write their own name…
But words are so powerful. They tap into a wellspring of meaning and emotion that is not easily stemmed. There is a story I was told long ago of some nameless tribe (I think it was in Africa) who believed that words are so powerful that they have no name for the knoves that they carry for fear that speaking the word will blunt the edge of their weapon. I think it was the same tribe who reputedly didn't give you their own names until they were certain they could trust you, for similar reasons. I don't know whether either of those stories are true, but they certainly express a truth. That a well written or spoken word can make the difference between healing and harming, hope and despair, life and death, but a careless word can wound deeper than any weapon, and is almost impossible to call back.
The Jewish people have historically been great wordsmiths... perhaps denied by God's commands the ability to create physical representations of how they feel in art for fear of idolatry, they channelled their creative energies into words... songs and poems, stories and psalms. To prevent any fine nuances of meaning getting lost in translation, for much of history a significant number of Jews have refused to let their sacred writings be translated from Hebrew into any other language...
They were also forbidden to abuse or misuse the name of God who created all things by his word of command... So in order to avoid that they never pronounced the sacred name of God, substituting the Hebrew for Lord every time they read God's name in scripture...
Over the past few weeks, as we've been preparing for the 400th Anniversary of the publication of the so-called Authorised or King James Bible, in our Bible Study we've been remembering that one of the greatest privileges we enjoy is the fact that we can read our scriptures our own language. But we've also remembered that the Bible as we have it may include the written word of God, but in Jesus we find the incarnate or living Word of God... no longer an unpronouncable name... But a flesh and blood manifestation of God's creative and redemptive word.
We may love or loathe word games… But if we seek to be followers of God's Word, we need to start putting words into action...


This is an adaptation of my Just a Moment for this morning on Downtown Radio.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-