Skip to main content

Not So Blue Monday...


This post actually started out as a facebook status update... But it got so ridiculously long that I thought I'd write it up here instead...
According to those who know about such things (like producers of daytime chatshows on TV and radio) this is "blue Monday"... the unhappiest day of the year, thanks to weather, bills from Christmas, family tensions that have been boiling up over the holiday incarceration with the family etc. According to Ben Goldacre, the author of Bad Science, back in 2006, it's all a piece of spurious maths prompted by Sky Travel, but the story still keeps rolling out year after year regardless.
I, however, am quite happy to buck the supposed trend towards doom, misery, hopelessness and despair today... Despite some sad news from a friend yesterday, this is the best day of the year so far for me... After weeks of physical ailments, including a chest infection and more recently food poisoning, I'm feeling relatively healthy this morning (despite the worst tasting cup of coffee in history)... I'm still carrying a couple of physical injuries that I'll have to work on, but that's a function of being a fat 45 year old diabetic, and I can live with that...
But I'm also feeling more like myself mentally than I have in nearly 9 months, and for that I am profoundly thankful... I'm not back on par yet, and I'm not rushing to take on all that I have been forced to set down over the past few months, but it is a relief to feel good about myself again...
And the main point of this post is simply to say thank you... to colleagues, professionals, family, friends, members of the congregation (in no particular order and no names, no pack drill), who have stuck by me, helped and are helping me through it...
But as I was writing this post, my thoughts were drawn to the phrase "Blue Monday" itself... the title of New Order's most famous track and the soundtrack to my last year at school thanks to it being played on a constant loop in the 6th form centre.
A lot of my melancholy over the past year has involved nostalgia about school and university days, addressing issues about my upbringing, and unachieved goals (typical middle-aged stuff), but also issues concerning my vocation as a Methodist Minister. In "Blue Monday" it says:


Those who came before me
Lived through their vocations
From the past until completion
They'll turn away no more



I doubt they were referring to the vocations of Methodist ministers when they wrote that... but certainly the myth of vocation in the past has been one of a single motivating vocation for the whole of life... And I look with awe and admiration on the lives of those who have lived out such vocations... But at the moment I'm trying to work out whether the call that drew me into ministry and which has shaped my life over the past 20 years is what will determine the direction of the next 20 (or hopefully more)? Before anyone panics, that doesn't mean I'm about to throw everything up in the air... but because of the help of those mentioned above, I'm now in a better place to listen to what God is actually calling me to do, rather than everything I have been doing for a long time...
I hope you'll keep me company as I explore what that is... and that today isn't too blue for you.
ps. No sooner had I posted this than WhyNotSmile posted another of her Guides to life the universe and everything, including some very helpful tips on coping with being down...

Comments

pps Ben Goldacre subsequently wrote an article further refuting the "Blue Monday" hoax. http://www.badscience.net/2011/01/tell-me-now-how-do-i-feel/

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-