Skip to main content

Read On...




As this post goes online I'll probably be in the midst of an Annual Circuit Meeting... which like all business meetings, fills me with precious little joy... But this is a day when Methodists remember that amazing things can happen even when we go "very unwillingly" to meetings, because on the 24th May 1738, the man regarded as the founder of Methodism, John Wesley, famously wrote in his journal:

“In the evening I went very unwillingly to a society in Aldersgate Street, where one was reading Luther’s preface to the Epistle to the Romans. About a quarter before nine, while he was describing the change which God works in the heart through faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ, Christ alone, for salvation; and an assurance was given me that He had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death."


Out of an inauspicious start an amazing outcome...

What we Methodists generally overlook however, is what comes immediately after that where he says:


“I began to pray with all my might for those who had in a more especial
manner despitefully used me and persecuted me.”

John Wesley’s first thoughts on being given an assurance of forgiveness and salvation was to pray for his enemies… Maybe that is why Methodists later became known as the friends of all and the enemies of none!


So whether you are a Methodist or not, let me suggest that in honour of John Wesley’s memory tonight we might spend time praying for those who have done ill to us and ours…



An adaptation of this morning's "Just a Moment" on Downtown Radio.

Comments

Andrew Kenny said…
Just used the new search tool on your blog and found this nice post under 'Wesley'. Very good indeed. Glad you also didn't post it as being Wesley's conversion ( though it may well have been a kind conversion), but of his assurance.I always like to point out to people that in his book on perfection where he describes his spiritual history he doesn't even mention 24th May 1738.

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-