Skip to main content

I'm Tired

I'm tired...

  • I'm tired of people in power laughing and joking over capping benefits for the poor, sneering at them as "shirkers" or "skivers" in contrast to "strivers"...
  • I'm tired of the wealthy bleating about losing child benefit, and fuel tax hikes that will make their gas-guzzling 4x4's marginally more expensive to fill up...
  • I'm tired of an economic system that is based on greed and dissatisfaction... conspicuous consumption that is destroying the planet, impoverishing more and more people (while a few get richer), and causing profound depression among those who are never content...
  • I'm tired of a Christian sub-set of that system that has bought into it uncritically, and constantly seeks to sell me the next big spiritual breakthrough in a book/programme/speaker/event...
  • I'm tired of all the strands of the media, music, film, TV, newspapers, internet et al that are filled to overflowing with the celebration of ignorance, amorality, violence, division... claiming that they do not shape society but simply reflect it... Reflecting it like one of those distorting mirrors at the fun-fair...
  • I'm tired of people in so called Protestant/Unionist/Loyalist community of this province proving their loyalty to the flag/crown/queen by threatening elected representatives, attacking police and destroying their own areas...
  • I'm tired of Unionist politicians calling for public protests then being scandalised that those protests don't remain peaceful, washing their hands of all responsibility like Pontius Pilate, the patron saint of politicians who think that leadership is simply doing what the loudest people in the mob want...
  • I'm tired of Republican and Nationalist politicians trying to prove they are more Irish than the dissidents by making proposals that they know will be provocative... Political posturing that doesn't care about creating a shared space so long as they get one over on the others...
  • I'm tired of Christians whose loyalty to a country, a flag or a political position comes ahead of their loyalty to God, his Kingdom or his church...
  • I'm tired of culture wars between fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalist atheists, who both misrepresent science and the Bible and how the two relate to one another...
  • I'm tired of churches that are tearing themselves apart over gender-roles and sexuality when we have no record of Jesus saying anything about either... while in the rest of scripture it is, at best, a secondary issue, certainly way behind issues of peace and poverty...
  • I'm tired of discussions in our own Methodist Church concerning the morality of accepting lottery money to help the very poorest in society, whilst the giving of Methodists to Home Missions, which also supports work with such people, is decreasing... Cheap morality... The church may not lose out, but the poor and vulnerable will... indeed already have while we continue yet another debate where no-one is really listening to anyone else...
I'm tired...
And it's only January...

But then again... it's the middle of winter, and, as my wife has just reminded me, spring is coming...

And in the light of that, tomorrow, rather than focus on these (and other) issues that are sucking the life and hope out of me, I'm going to post 12 signs of life and hope... Feel free to contribute...

Selah



Comments

Ali P said…
Wondering if God is tired too? and if not, then how is that God responds to these various injustices and how can we respond like that? and if God is also tired of this, then can we joining God in that be part of the hope and resurrection you are going to post about next time?

Just some questions your post made pop into my head.
Cheers

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-