Skip to main content

It's Only A Game...

Here's this morning's Thought for the Day on Good Morning Ulster, prompted by last week's superb BBC NI documentary about Alec Reid's role in the dramatic events of 25 years ago and how this prompted his ongoing efforts at peacemaking.

As noted in the comment below the image to the left apparently originated from the camera of Sam Knox. Check out his other work on  www.shotbysam.com. Apologies to the artist for the previously unauthorised use...

Although yesterday was St. Patrick’s Day, it was a mixed weekend for Irish rugby fans – The women won their first ever grand slam, but their male counterparts slumped to ignominious defeat. Yet despite the Celtic gloom that enveloped me I reminded myself that it’s only a game… and, that no-one had died. Because all through Saturday my mind kept going back 25 years.
I was studying in Edinburgh then, having deliberately left behind a Northern Ireland riven by hatred and violence. That year, like this, Ireland had won their first match, against Scotland, giving me some bragging rights, but, again like this year, it all went downhill from there. Pride hinged on the last game against England and I sought out a local bar that was showing the fateful match on TV.
But the coverage was interrupted by breaking news from Belfast… The previous fortnight here had been fractious, following the shooting of IRA activists Mairead Farrell, Sean Savage and Danny McCann in Gibraltar… Michael Stone subsequently attacked their funeral in Milltown Cemetery… Then, that Saturday, 19th March 1988, the BBC switched from Twickenham to Andersonstown where mourners at the funeral of Kevin Brady, one of Stone’s victims, had thought that they were under attack again. They stopped a car being driven erratically by 2 British Army corporals, Derek Wood and David Howe, dragging them away into nearby Casement Park where they were executed.
It was so immediate… so visceral… so seemingly barbaric, illustrating vividly why I had turned my back on my place of birth.
Thankfully, however, that was not true of people like Father Alec Reid who was there in the midst of the chaos, trying to bring spiritual succour to those 2 soldiers… And who subsequently sought to change the political landscape that produced such violence… working with others to pave the way that led to the Good Friday Agreement…
The next day the minister of our church in Edinburgh preached on Christ’s journey to Jerusalem that culminated with Good Friday, and Saint Patrick’s dream of a man from Ireland calling him to bring the gospel to the place where he had been enslaved… I’m no latter day Patrick but the events of that weekend became part of the backdrop to my sense of call to ministry back in Ireland… believing that the call of the Christian is not to run from conflict and trouble, and observe difficulties from a safe distance, but to follow Christ, whose path was one of sorrow and suffering… facing our fears and seeking to make a difference.

Shalom

Comments

Sam Knox said…
I would like to draw your attention to your unauthorised use of my photograph in this article. I refer to the one of the Irish rugby shirt badges.
No permission was sought for the use of this image.
It is my intellectual property, and its use without license or authorisation is a clear breach of my copyright.
I would ask you to either desist from using it, or else add a credit and a link back to my website at www.shotbysam.com
Many thanks.
Sam.

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-