Skip to main content

A (expletive-deleted) great show...


Last night  my wife and I went to the f*****g Lyric Theatre, and it wasn't to see Pride and Prejudice the f*****g Musical on the main stage, but something much more f*****g earthy in the Naughton Studio space: Re-Energize by Gary f*****g Mitchell, directed by my mate Conall f*****g Morrison with music by John and Damian O'Neill from the f*****g Undertones. It picks up the story of the members of a f*****g wannabe punk band 30 years after Mitchell's earlier play "Energy" was set.

I didn't see that production back in 1999 in the Playhouse in Derry, where this production also originated. But the previous year I first came across Gary Mitchell's work in another collaboration with Conall Morrison when I took a night out from Methodist Conference to take a ministerial colleague to see their play "As the Beast Sleeps" in the bowels of the Abbey Theatre in Dublin... The play was still in a fluid state at that time and one of the discussions between Gary, Conall, myself and my colleague was the relentless use of the word f**k throughout the play. If truth be told I think the writer and director were both more worried about other people's sensitivities than either me or my colleague, because in his liberal use of Anglo-Saxon Mitchell was capturing the lingua franca of his home area of Rathcoole. And if you can manage to hear more than profanity you will find in this play the authentic voice of contemporary post-working class Ulster protestantism. Mitchell has a wonderful ear for dialogue. There were parts of the play where I thought that he had been secretly recording conversations between me and my younger brother or me and my teenage son, minus the swearing of course ... So much so that I had tears of laughter running down my cheeks at one point...

Yet the laughter belied the tragedy that was unfolding in front of us... A story of hopelessness, debt, the threat and reality of violence, depression, alcoholism, broken families, social division (socio-economic rather than religious)... But the black humour, and the music cut through the darkness of the story to genuinely leave me up-lifted and indeed re-energized leaving the theatre.

As well as a brilliant ear for dialogue, Mitchell also has a superb understanding of loyalist society and a sense of the social ills within it - an understanding that sadly led to him being intimidated out of Rathcoole, once his writing started to get TV exposure... However, there is often a absence of a dramatic flow in his work... A lack of a climax, or ultimate denouement... This was true in last night's show and may be deliberate... offering a snapshot of the ongoing nature of existence in loyalist communities, the ups, downs and crises that occur, without anything ultimately ever changing... I recognised far too many of the scenarios played out on the Naughton stage last night... Scenarios played out with conviction and energy by the whole cast, who were a good solid ensemble both in terms of their acting and as a garage-punk band...

Everything culminated in a defiant, high octane performance of the title tracks of the original play "Energy" and the new show "Re-Energize". Circumstances were not going to crush the dreams of these characters...

In the real world, rebellion against the social circumstances that loyalist communities find themselves in has more frequently expressed in flag protests and rioting recently... That's not to justify the latter, but it is a factor in it all the same...

Is there a romanticism in the refusal of these middle-aged punk rockers to give up on their dreams, no-matter how unrealistic those dreams might be?

Yes. It is, but it is a romanticism rooted in rough and ready reality... pregnant with hope... Offering everyone the possibility of a second chance...

But you've only got two more chances to see it at the Lyric, so if you can get tickets for tonight or tomorrow, grab them with both hands...

Cheers



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-