Skip to main content

10 Day You Challenge - Day 7: 4 Books

How on earth is it possible to reduce all of the books I have ever read or want to read to a list of 4? Well, within the parameters of my self-imposed 30 Days of Thanksgiving here are 4 books that I was particularly thankful to have received as a gift from someone at some time or another. Again, those watchful for my spiritual soundness, please note that I have received many Bibles as gifts down through the years and have been thankful for most of them (the NEB which we received at our wedding left me a little cold) - If you ask me to narrow it down to one then the most influential would probably be the Message by Eugene Peterson, which I first received in its NT form from my mother-in-law 20 years ago, although given the recent book burning in North Carolina, there are probably those who would regard that translation as a book worthy of burning because of its heresy...

1) THE FLAVOUR THESAURUS by Niki Segnit. Given my love of food and a bizarre personality that has both a heavily pronounced artistic and scientific bent, this book, which I was given as a post Christmas extra by my wife one year, is a real aesthetic joy. Not only does it deal with how different ingredients complement and contrast with each other in flavour, aroma, taste and texture, it does so within the confines of a beautifully produced hardback book. Not one to be read on the kindle (even if an e-book version exists), it is a book to be handled and admired, snacked on at regular intervals, although prolonged periods of reading may produce aesthetic indigestion, or drive you into the kitchen to try some bizarre flavour combination. Unlike most other contemporary food books it has no glossy pictures... they would be entirely superfluous as Segnit has such vivid descriptive powers. I so wish I had written this book myself... Not only is it about food (a favourite subject) it has a vein of science running through it, has a coherent systematic logic, but is also highly cultured, somewhat idiosyncratic, and in places very funny... What other food book would leave you chortling at 5.30am after a sleepless night? Should be compulsory reading for all foodies, and having completed one circuit of her flavour wheel I feel I must go round again, and again, and again...

2) UNDER THE UNPREDICTABLE PLANT by Eugene Peterson. This exploration of the story of the Book of Jonah from a pastoral perspective was given to me by the colleague who has influenced my own ministry more than anyone else, Rev. Dr. Brian Fletcher. He gave it to me just prior to my ordination, and it took me a couple of years to get round to reading it. But when I did so it helped shape how I handle the Old Testament, my attempts to integrate the prophetic and pastoral elements of my ministry and the memory of it prevented me, on more than one occasion, from taking "the fast boat to Tarshish" when things weren't going so well. It also inspired a series of monologues based  on the story of Jonah, one of which involves the unedifying sight of me drenched to the skin and covered in seaweed.

4) LORD OF THE RINGS by J.R.R. Tolkein. One of many gifts of books from my mother-in-law. This one (or rather 3 - I'm cheating) she gave me for Christmas 1987. I had never read these books as a spotty youth, but these were important books to my late father in law (especially the third, Return of the King) and as such Kathleen thought I would appreciate them. I held off reading them until after I had finished a demanding production of King Lear, and I dived into them, preceded by The Hobbit, as a way of flushing that experience out of my system... But I was sucked from one grand epic world, into another, and finished all 4 books in little under 2 weeks... I didn't get much by way of university work done... And when I got half way through Return of the King, I went to bed but had to get up and read it until I had finished, appendices and all... A work of real genius...

3) THE GIVING TREE by Shel Silverstein. A more recent gift from friend and artist Chuck Hoffman. He, like many Americans, seem to have been reared on this book... before then being given Dr. Seuss' "O the Places You'll Go" before heading off to college... This book is deceptively simple, yet has inspired such a lot of, at times, vitriolic debate as to the core message... Personally I see it as a parable of costly love... And it is in that vein that it struck a chord with me...

Cheers



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-