Skip to main content

Where is the Kingdom?

After a brief, pink-tinged diversion from politics, it is back to a recent recurrent theme, this time in the form of a dialogue we used in worship this morning while looking at the phrase "may your Kingdom come" in the Lord's prayer... It is particularly pertinent at present given the run up to European and local elections over the next week or so and bundles up a lot of the stuff I've been saying recently in a slightly different form, with thanks to (or should that be apologies to) John Bell and Graeme Maule of the Iona Community for the format if not the content...
 
 
 
Peter:          Eh... Jesus...?
Jesus:         Yes, Peter?
Peter:          Have you ever heard of democracy?
Jesus:         Where’d you hear about that Peter?
Peter:          Oh, I heard some Greeks talking about it... They said it was some sort of government. But it's all Greek to me...
Jesus:         Well Peter... Democracy is government by the people...
Peter:          Sure we’re always governed by people... People with crowns called kings or emperors...
Jesus:         Yes, but in a democracy the people choose who will govern them by voting.
Peter:          People vote to decide who will become King?
Jesus:         Not quite... Although some of those elected behave like they’re kings or queens...
Peter:          How are people like me supposed to decide who will run the country? I know nothing about politics...
Jesus:         Well, the people who want to be elected produce manifestos to tell the voters what they will do for them if they are elected...
Peter:          Ah... and the voters elect the one who will do most for them...
Jesus:         Well, actually they usually vote for the one who will give them the biggest tax cut...
Peter:          I can understand that, I hate taxes... Actually, that reminds me Jesus... Our tax bill is due again, so Judas says if you could do another trick with those coins in that fish’s mouth the same way as you did last year that would be good...
Jesus:         I’m afraid that was a one off, Peter.
Peter:          Oh well, it was worth a try. So what do you think of this democracy stuff?
Jesus:         Its OK so long as the system is fair and the politicians honest...
Peter:          That would be a first. So is the Kingdom of Heaven going to be a democracy?
Jesus:         No...
Peter:          Why not?
Jesus:         Well, tell me... is the majority always right?
Peter:          Depends on how big a majority.
Jesus:         What do you mean?
Peter:          Well, I’m not going to stand up and tell a mob of people that what they do or say or think is wrong...
Jesus:         You’ll be surprised what you might end up doing for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven.
Peter:          But when are we going to see this Kingdom of Heaven you’ve been talking about? You’ve been speaking about it ever since I’ve known you... And where is its capital city going to be? Where is it going to be founded?
Jesus:         I don’t know when Peter... But I do know where...
Peter:          Where? Here in Galilee?
Jesus:         No.
Peter:          Jerusalem?
Jesus:         No.
Peter:          Rome?
Jesus:         No. Nor will it be in Washington DC, Moscow, London, Paris or even Belfast...
Peter:          Where?
Jesus:         Never mind... The point is that the Kingdom of Heaven is not a country as we know it with borders, governments, elections, taxes and a national football team...
Peter:          What?
Jesus:         Again, never mind. The Kingdom of God is a group of people who have decided to serve God as their Lord and King...
Peter:          So the people do decide who is going to be King...
Jesus:         No, the people decide whether God will be their King... Whether they will be part of the Kingdom of Heaven.
Peter:          Oh... But you still haven’t told me where it will be founded, where its capital city will be...
Jesus:         Here...
Peter:          But you already said that it wouldn’t be in Galilee...
Jesus:         No, not here in Galilee... But here, in the human heart. The Kingdom of Heaven is within you...
Peter:          Oh...  Well, I suppose I should have known that the Kingdom of Heaven wasn’t going to be a democracy, because you’d be a dreadful politician.
Jesus:         Why’s that Peter?
Peter:          You’re too honest... You keep your promises...
 
Shalom


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-