Skip to main content

It has nothing to do with me...

At present I'm preaching a series on the Apostles' Creed, and today we looked at the clause referring to Jesus suffering under Pontius Pilate. One of the earliest and most effective Bible-based monologues I ever saw was one on Pilate by Riding Lights... But below is one that I wrote myself a good few years back, which I hauled out of retirement for this morning's service.

It has nothing to do with me...
It is a Jewish matter... Nothing to do with Rome. If I had my way I would have left them to it. Another spat between religious fanatics. So what if he claims to be the son of this Jewish god? What difference does that make? Sons of god are two a penny in the lunatic asylum... We’ve even had one or two on the throne of Rome... Sons of god, that is, not lunatics... Though some might say... No!! Don’t quote me on that. I’m in trouble enough as it is. I can’t afford another letter of complaint going to Caesar. That’s why I finally decided to try this man... The priests said that he was claiming to be the rightful King of the Jews... If I hadn’t acted on that I’d have had Herod up in arms as well as these damned religious fanatics.
I tried getting Herod to deal with him... He’s a Galilean so strictly speaking he is Herod’s problem, not mine. And he got rid of that other rabble rouser, the Baptiser a few years ago... I thought he would be glad to get his hands on this one... But he passed the buck straight back to me...
And the people... I thought they would be glad to have me release him. I invented a little tradition... releasing a prisoner in honour of the Jewish holiday... These holidays are always trouble... Passover... I wish I could just pass over it and forget it... But no... every holiday season the pilgrims pour in from all over the Empire, bringing their problems with them.
Well, I offered to release Jesus to them in honour of the holiday... And they threw the offer back in my face. I don’t understand these people... Last week they were praising him to the heavens when he waltzed into the city on the back of a donkey... They were taking the very shirts off their backs and laying them down as a carpet of honour for him. This week they were baying for his blood... They demanded that I crucify him... And then they had the gall to ask for Barabbas, a convicted murderer and rebel to be released in his place...
I don’t know how I’ll ever explain that one to the senate... The guilty goes free and the innocent is executed... There’s justice for you.
But what could Jesus have done in a week to turn the people against him? Mind you... He doesn’t exactly help himself. One minute he was refusing to answer my questions... The next he was admitting that he was a King... Him standing there, bruised and bloodied, covered in what looked like spit, and wearing clothes that weren’t exactly the highest quality before they had been torn to shreds. Him, a King! And then when I tried to explain what a dangerous situation he was in... That I had the power of life and death over him, he reminded me that my power was given to me from above... And that those above me would share responsibility for any of my actions... What was he trying to do? Absolve me of responsibility... When none of it was my responsibility in the first place...
So I just washed my hands of him... Literally... If he wants to die, that’s his choice...
It has nothing to do with me...

Selah




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-